Is there anything better than freshly baked goodies first thing in the morning? How about a tasty treat made using up beet (our energy tea) to give it that extra boost?! These morning muffins are the perfect way to start off your day, whether made fresh or in advance! They can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days, or frozen for up to 6 months - just pop them in the oven for a few minutes to warm them up, and thank Past You for breakfast today!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 18 - 22 mins
- 1 up beet tea temple
- 30ml boiling water
- 60g melted coconut oil
- 60g honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g grated carrots, plus extra for topping (if you're feeling fancy!)
- 60g grated beetroot, plus extra for topping (honestly, we love a garnish...)
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 60g sultanas
- 60g chopped pecans
- a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds to top (oh, go on!)
How to make
1. Use a heat proof jug to make a tea concentrate by brewing 2 up beet tea temples in 30ml boiled water for 10 minutes
2. Once the tea is brewed, remove the temple and add 60g sultanas to the tea – leave to soak for 20 minutes
3. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to fan 200C and line a muffin tin with cases
4. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Add the grated carrots and beetroot and set aside.
6. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and spices.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until evenly incorporated.
8. Drain your sultanas and gently fold in the soaked fruit and chopped pecans.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds and extra shredded carrots and beetroot. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a muffin.
10. Serve warm with salted butter and drizzle of honey!
Don't forget to make us (and everyone else) jealous of your morning treats by tagging us on social @teapigs!