Tea + cocktails = a match made in heaven for us... and summer is the perfect excuse to spend your weekend chilling out in the sun with a cocktail in hand. We've been scanning the book of tea again to find some fab summery recipes to share with you, so why not channel your inner mixologist and give this fab classic cocktail with a tea twist a try...
what you'll need...
for the earl grey syrup
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp earl grey strong whole leaf tea
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
for the lemon salt rim
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 50g sea salt
for the martini
- 2 tbsp gin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Ice cubes
for the garnish
- A long piece of lemon peel tied in a knot
- Dried borage flowers, picked from earl grey strong tea leaves
how to make it...
- First, make the earl grey syrup by heating the water in a small pan, stir in the tea leaves and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 mins, then strain and chill.
- Chill the martini class in the fridge/freezer.
- Whizz the lemon zest and salt until very fine and transfer to a shallow dish or saucer.
- Dip the chilled glass into the lemon salt, then pour the gin, earl grey syrup and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake well, then strain into the glass and garnish with the lemon knot and sprinkle with the dried borage flowers - super pretty, right!?
- Voilà! Sit back and enjoy.
If you're looking for more summer recipe ideas, why not give these a try:
- Matcha yoghurt ice lollies
- 5 iced tea recipes that refresh and revitalise
- Or opt for a grown up version with our tea cocktail recipes
We’re encouraging people to get creative with their tea this summer – so mix it up, try something new, and most importantly, let us know how you get on via twitter, facebook and instagram with the hashtag #summerofteapigs!