Though you might not believe it on hearing my voice, I am in fact a real life Geordie having been born in Newcastle and living there until I was the grand old age of 19. Despite not sounding remotely like Cheryl Cole/ Jimmy Nail (remember him?) in the slightest, I will always consider Newcastle home and love it lots.
Here are my 10 ten things that I love about Newcastle and the North East:
- Seeing the Angel of the North peeping over the horizon after a 5 hour drive
- How we have all pretty much been in Byker Grove at some point (mine was aged 12 as an extra on the quayside – look out for my lime green satin shirt!)
- Gregg’s stotties
- Believing the someday, ONE DAY, Newcastle United will win something (and always and forever having a soft spot for Alan Shearer and Bobby Robson)
- Going Home (Local Hero) by Mark Knopfler
- My little village which has barely changed in all my life, and barely changed in all my Mam’s life (and she’s been there 60 odd years)
- Spending 90% of my childhood down the Metro Centre
- The coast and the beautiful countryside
- The Tyne Bridge
- Beer bottle sweets!