It’s probably no surprise to you, that we at teapigs love a good mug – we spend roughly 77% of our day drinking tea, and the mad rush for your favourite mug in the morning often resembles a scene from the hunger games.
Therefore, when we had the chance to team up with fab homeware designer Fenella Smith we literally jumped for joy! Fenella Smith creates elegant homewares that add a brightness and quirkiness to your home, whilst being entirely functional (we can’t be doing with mugs you can’t get a decent cuppa from!)
It was resident animal fanatic, teapig Amy who first brought Fenella Smith to our attention. Armed with a lifetime of memories spent in the outdoors surrounded by various pets, and with the help of her award winning illustrator brother, Greg - Fenella has been able to capture the spirit of the countryside by bringing these furry little friends to life, and quite frankly we can’t get enough! (..the pug and dachshund mugs being particular favourites)
Everyone knows cake is the Robin to Batman’s tea, and guess what? Fenella has been kind enough to give us a fab Bara Brith recipe complete with Earl Grey tea – the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon brew.
325g mixed fruit
175g light muscovado sugar
250ml earl grey tea
zest and juice of one orange
350g self-raising flour
2 level teaspoons mixed spice
- Add the fruit, sugar, orange juice and zest into a large bowl, pour over the warm (not boiling) earl grey tea, give it a stir, cover it and leave to soak overnight.
- Heat the oven to 160C.Thoroughly grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Pour the flour and spice into a large bowl, then stir in the fruit and any liquid not absorbed by the fruit, beat in the egg, then the butter.
- Beat well then pour into your loaf tin. Bake for around one hour but check with a skewer that it’s cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin until cooled slightly, remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut yourself a slice, grab yourself a brew and ENJOY!
Be sure to give the recipe a go, and let us know what you think!
To celebrate even further, we’ll be running a competition over on twitter where you can be in with a chance of winning a set of super cute mugs from her popular dog collection - Celebrations all round!